Saturday, October 27, 2007

Task 22 - eAudiobooks

This post is from the perspective of a Youth Services Librarian - my favourite type of books are picture books. eAudiobooks are not suitable for this format, as the illustrations are what make the books.

Also, when looking that the suggested websites, the emphasis is on U.S. literature and awards and much of the eAudiobooks are "Classics". I feel that these sites fail to cater to the specific group of youth who like reading non-fiction for pleasure -there are no dinosaur, shark or insect titles; and the Children Books Awards Highlighted are the Caldecott and Newberry Awards (U.S.) There were no titles by A. Griffiths or D. Pilkey listed.

This having been said - I do see the advantage of eAudiobooks for the Adult population. I listen to a large volume of Audio Books and I could see myself downloading eAudiobooks for my own personal use. With the availability of eAudiobooks, comes the responsibility of educating the aging population in the use of the "new technology". We still have some patrons that have been unable to make the jump from Audio Books in tape format to Audio Books in Cd format.

No comments: